This morning I arrived at the hospital at 7.35a.m, 25 minutes early. It was kind of annoying that I was early again, because we didn't expect the traffic to be so good. Still though it's much better than being late! :) I walked around for a while, and then went to my locker. At 8 I went to one of the conference rooms, where I met my team and many other teams. There was free tea and coffee and some breakfast :) One of the consultants presented cases to everyone, and the crowd made suggestions on how to progress with the patient's treatment. After that, all the other teams left and Dr. Wan, who I was working with yesterday made a presentation to the endocrinology team. It was about a case study on a drug used by patients with type 1 diabetes. Afterwards, there was a discussion about the drug, and then the ward lists were handed out.
We began the ward rounds after that. I liked seeing the familiar faces of the patients we had yesterday, and seeing how they have progressed/regressed since yesterday. The most senior member of the team from yesterday was not with us today, and there was a more relaxed atmosphere about the team. The doctor who took his place as leader of the team was really good with the patients, even in one particularly difficult case.
After the break, I was with Carmel for a while, and then she asked me and Ali the sub-I to do some flow charts. It took us a while to find a free computer and to figure out the programme for checking labs, but once we got the hang of it we got them done pretty quick. We did that until two, and then we had lunch.
After lunch, we found Carmel again, and she was very busy. She asked Ali to get some bloods from a patient, and I went with her to A&E. I spent the rest of the day running tests with Carmel. I watched her change a catheter and take blood from an artery. She taught me how to use a blood analysis machine. It was really cool, I never knew you could put a needle of blood straight into a machine and it would tell you the amount of each constituent contained in the sample straight away. My day ended at 5.30. I think I learnt a lot today and I found it really interesting :)
No comments:
Post a Comment